Thursday, April 2, 2009

First Surgery and Recovery May 1, 2007

May 1, 2007: Surgery

1. Debridement of Labral Tear

**2. Microfracture of Acetabulum

3.Excision of Loose Bodies:
" Health cartilage has a smooth, billiard ball-like surface. As degenerative
arthritis progresses, turning that smooth surface into a cracking surface, some
of the cracks break off and float unattached in the joint. Those fragments are
called loose bodies; they can become an annoyance that leads to trouble" from
Cedars Sinai website


4. Synovectomy:
" When the synovial lining of the hip joint is so inflamed it causes disabling
pain, it may have to be removed" From Cedars Sinai website

When I woke up from surgery I really had no idea what was going on..all I saw was a long blue tube across my body..that freaked me out a little..then again I was wacked out on meds from surgery so it was a little easier to get freaked..ended up being an ice machine for my hip..totally rad invention..keeps hip constantly cool..and the one thing I have learned from all of this hip pain is...ICE IS NICE! Between the anesthesia and morphine I didn't feel a lot of pain but then a complication happened due to the the anesthesia (sticky lung) and than all hell broke loose with the end result being a 3 day stay in the hospital...so much for day surgery.

Here is the timeline after my hospital stay to get me off of crutches and walking again..it was one long summer.......

May 1st-May 3rd: Stay in Hospital due to lung collapse from anesthesia.

May 4th-May 14th- Bed Rest at Home/ Crutches no weight bearing

May 14th- 2 week check up w/ Boston doc

May 16th- Start PT

May 29th- Start Partial weight bearing on crutches at PT

July 2nd- Started using One Crutch today at PT

July 10th- Start Using Cane..done w/ crutches..yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see picture above first real walk w/out crutches)

July 3oth- Apt w/ Boston Doc..decide to do injections for Iliopsoas Tendinitis (My tendon started acting up post surgery never had problems w/ it before my surgery)

August 7th- Injections w/ Boston Doc @ Hospital: Right Hip Arthrogram w/ Iliopsoas and Rectus Sheath Injection…IV Sedation.This injection did help alot with the sore and tight psoas tendon. I am glad I did it. I got about 3 months of pain relief from it.

August 7th- 11th: Stay at home and Rest

Aug 13th- follow up apt w/ Boston Doc

Sept 3rd- First Time Driving since Surgery..it was like I was 16 all over again..man it was a long time w/ out driving ...but I was now officially crutches and cane free after 4 months..A LOT longer than originally estimated by my boston doc. I learned at that point never to count completely on dr's estimation for recovery time.



**From the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center website:
Microfracture
What Is It?
"The body has many moving joints such as
the shoulder, hip, and knee. These moving joints are called “synovial joints”.
Synovial joints are able to move freely because of the cartilage covering across
the two bones that make up the joint. This cartilage covering is referred to as
“articular cartilage”. Injury to articular cartilage is called “chondromalacia”.
The most significant type of chondromalacia occurs when the articular surface is
damaged to the underlying bone.
When the articular surface cartilage of a
joint is damaged down to bone, one may consider treatments to regenerate the
injured joint surface. One such option is the microfracture procedure where
the damaged joint surface is surgically stimulated to release local stem cells
which fill-in the cartilage defect with a type of “clot”. Through post-operative
rehabilitation, the goal is to encourage the clot of cells to transition into a
cartilage-like substance called “fibrocartilage”. While not as durable as one’s
original joint cartilage, it functions as a reasonable substitute."


No comments:

Post a Comment