Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The lead up to find the right diagnosis/aka finding the right Dr and right diagnosis is harder than you might think!

It took a few months to get the correct diagnosis. While I was searching for what was wrong w/ me I went to a few Dr's, did a round of physical therapy, and a cortisone injection, while I limped around in pain. I am lucky it took me only 3 months to find a dr who new what to look for but through my many searches online about hips I have read hundreds of stories of people running around for years in pain til they got the right diagnosis so I actually consider myself one of the lucky ones..so here is my time line of misdiagnosis until I found the correct answer...

Jan 5th 2007: First Apt w/ recommend Orthopedic Dr. recommended by Primary Care Dr.

Jan 6th-12th- on bed rest for leg, per order by Dr. for groin/muscle strain..use crutches

Jan 12th- Follow -up apt w/ Dr

Jan 15th- Start PT (twice a week)..assigns pt for pain and strengthening..still using crutches

Jan 19th- Apt w/ Dr..decides to get MRI of Hip/Groin area

Jan 23rd- Get MRI

Jan 24th: Get also sent for a Cat Scan

Jan 25th Apt w/ Dr. …said MRI was ok (never saw report) gave me cortisone injection in groin area in his office to see if that helped the pain (it did for a week or so) the dr so nicely said to me before he jammed the needle into my groin area (w/ out really giving me a chance to make a decision if this was the right thing to do since I never had a cortisone injection before) " This will either help your pain or show us that you don't have any pain at all" just love a good bed side manner.

Feb 07: PT twice a week all month

AT THIS POINT PAIN WAS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE AND I FELT DEEPLY WITHIN MYSELF THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING MORE GOING ON THAN JUST A MUSCLE STRAIN TO PUT ME IN THIS MUCH PAIN...USUALLY I GO W/ WHAT MY DR SAYS BUT I STRONGLY FELT SOMETHING WASN'T RIGHT SO I DECIDED TO TAKE MATTERS IN MY OWN HANDS..DID SOME RESEARCH ON ORTHOPEDIC DRS AND GOT MYSELF A SECOND OPINION W/ A DR IN BOSTON

March 5th: First Apt W/ Boston Dr. wanted 2nd opinion due to pain and I was unsatisfied w/ other dr. because I was not getting better. This was the first time I heard that there could be something wrong w/ my hip..honestly I didn't think I could injure my hip at 32 unless I had a traumatic accident so I was a little taken aback. Boston Doc felt I tore my Labrum in my hip and the only way to figure out if that is correct was by getting a arthrogram MRI:

From WEB MD. COM: "An arthrogram is a test using X-rays to obtain a series of
pictures of a joint after a contrast material
(such as a dye, water, air, or a combination of these) has been injected into
the joint. This allows your doctor to see the soft tissue structures of your
joint, such as tendons, ligaments, muscles, cartilage, and your
joint capsule. These structures are not seen on a plain X-ray without contrast
material. A special type of X-ray, called fluoroscopy, is used to
take pictures of the joint.
An arthrogram is used to check a joint to find
out what is causing your symptoms or problem with your joint. An arthrogram may
be more useful than a regular X-ray because it shows the surface of soft tissues
lining the joint as well as the joint bones. A regular X-ray only shows the
bones of the joint. This test can be done on your hip, knee, ankle, shoulder,
elbow, wrist, or jaw (temporomandibular joint).
Other tests, such as magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI)
and computed tomography
(CT)
, give different information about a joint. They may be used with an
arthrogram or when an arthrogram does not give a clear picture of the joint."



March 14th: Mri arthrogram ...OUCH! Uncomfortable procedure and the next day you will feel the pain but worth it for the fact that you will get a diagnosis from this form of MRI if you are having a hip problem.

March:26th: Apt w/ Boston Doc .....tells me I need hip surgery ASAP!

3 months from first pain I found out that I had a large tear of my labrum in my right hip w/ loose bodies floating around. I was scared about having to have surgery, but was relieved to finally have a correct diagnosis. I was though also upset that my other ortho dr as well as the emergency room dr. never once thought it was my hip or even did this form of testing to make sure they had a clear picture of what was going on w/ me. The physical therapy my first ortho dr had me do actually made my hip worse..this is when I realized I have to trust my own instincts and know that sometimes dr's are not always right. You do know your own body best...trust in that!


Definition of the hip labral tear :By Mayo Clinic
staff


"A hip labral tear involves the ring of soft tissue that
follows the outside rim of the socket of your hip joint. This ridge of
cartilage, called a labrum, works a little like a suction cup to help hold your
hip joint together. "

No comments:

Post a Comment