So I guess it was a trial run for bed rest..so being sick has now prepared me how to handle things for bed rest ..trying to put a positive spin on this...;) Which leads me into Pre-op..my trial run for surgery....looking forward to being on the Post side of things soon!
Pre-op..Children's Hospital style: 2/22/10
My Best friend Nicole (THANK YOU NICOLE) and I took on the Children's Hospital "adventure" together today..and it sure was an adventure: Quick Breakdown
1.3-d Cat Scan of my hip (find cat scan place..mini adventure..man this is one big hospital)
2. Go to Dr's apt (get there..they tell us that I need to go to xray..ok)
3. Mini adventure to find Xray....get Xray done and get a pair of hospital pants to wear in the process...they made not be fashionable, but they are actually quite comfy..;)
4.Go back to Dr apt....told I need to go to registration...mini adventure to registration..get to registration...they hand me a folder and tell me to go back to Dr and then come back later..hmmm they couldn't have gotten that folder there another way???
5.Meeting w/ My Surgeon and Nurse (had about 50 questions to ask, but was caught off guard w/ him telling me that he was concern about my upper respiratory infection and how that would effect being under anesthesia and all the complications that could possibly happen...started talking about possibly rescheduling surgery because of my cold...ok at this point my mind went blank..thank goodness for Nicole, because she helped me get my conversation back on track to go over details of my surgery and recovery) Shed some tears and ended it w/ hugging my surgeon..apt went a little differently than I expected it to go... But still feel like I have a GREAT Dr and I am in good hands w/ him..which is very comforting!
6. Go back to registration (where was registration again.....another mini adventure, but this time we got a tour guide..ok well maybe not a tour guide but a nice lady who walked us to where it was)
7.Meeting w/ the anesthesiologist (went over the "lung issue" again..after a long discussion he green lighted the surgery but will reevaluate on surgery day to make sure my lungs can handle it then I will have the final decision. )
Fingers crossed that my lungs will be ok and my surgery will go well.
If Surgery happens they will take precautions w/ my lungs (my lung collapsed during my first hip surgery and w/ my cold and me having asthma it just makes them more cautious)
a.so I will continue w/ my antibiotics and other meds
b.take abuterol inhaler a few times a day
c. They will do a nebulizer treatment prior to surgery and post surgery
d. they will be on high alert for any respiratory issues..so I will be watched carefully...GOOD!
8. Meeting w/ another nurse..get mini physical...and went over all my medical history,,blah blah blah
8A. anesthesiologist comes back and talks to me about doing epidural....will keep lower part of my body numb so that will help w/ pain and they can use less anesthesia which may be better for me as well so he put the request in..he also told me that he put in a request to be the anesthesiologist for my surgery as well.....wow now I am making friends in the hospital..hahaha
9.Get Blood Taken....The woman who drew my blood said..wow you handled that well..I laughed saying" if I can't handle getting my blood taken than I may have some major issues on Thursday"..she agreed ,but still gave me a big smile..Only at Children's Hospital..everyone smiles at you and gives you stickers..or tells you how great you are doing and how brave you are..honestly this is very helpful when you are scared.. who cares that I am 35 ;)
10. Go to PT (last mini adventure for the day..yay...this adventure has provided me w/ the most extensive work out I have had in a long time..how ironic) Realize there is no need for me to be there once we arrive because.. A. i will have PT inpatient and B. I have had extensive time on crutches so I know how to use them..at this point I could teach lessons on how to use them...actually at this point I feel I am almost qualified to perform hip surgery ;)