Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"Hip"fully Enlightened

Tonight as I was writing to one of my lovely "hip sisters" I wrote down the words

"I think in the past week I have truly come to peace w/ my hip...I think in the end it has given me more than it has taken....."

I would like to back track for a second ...Last week I got one of those lovely before summer colds that takes you out of commission for a good 5 plus days and in my case this sentence is almost ironic...but nonetheless I have been up to this point a busy "resting hipster" (PT ALL THE TIME..is my new motto). Pretty much I had a break from my break in life (see I told you I am ironic) but since I couldn't do any PT, and I couldn't talk (because my voice was very hoarse) I had time to read (Dead in the Family :Sookie Stackhouse Series book 10, The Host, The Help, and Eating Animals...discuss amongst yourself my wide variety of book choices..I am a diverse individual ;) )













as well as I also had a lot of time to think and reflect, not like I didn't have lots of time to do this before, but being three months out and 3 surgeries in you always start looking at things w/ a new perspective.  I mean everyone reflects especially when you have "major" events happen in your life...why is this happening.....why did this happen to me...what did I do to deserve this...as George Costanza so eloquently said,.."yada yada yada".  .I know you catch my drift, but nonetheless I feel a strong desire to write this particular post...and as they say it's my blog so I can do what I want...actually does anyone say that ;)

Maybe it's the pain meds, maybe it's been the 3 months of being mostly in the house, maybe it is the cold, or maybe just maybe I have been a little enlightened...... stranger things have happened ;)

So here it goes..No way around it..what happened to me and my hip (yes we are now 2 entities) sucks...bottom line...Pain Sucks, Surgery Sucks, Recovery Sucks, Missing out on things Suck, Being Stuck in the Hospital Sucks, Missing Work Sucks (I know some of you may disagree w/ that but...) Being Dependent Sucks...OK I think you all getting the Sucking Point, but I think as we all know sometimes life can just Suck. We will all have our moments of unhappiness, pain or what not, but what you get out of the suckiness is another matter all together, so w/out any more chit chat this is what doesn't suck....

-I have learned to be a stronger person...mentally and physically
-I have found out how much I like to write
-I know I can deal w/ pain and I know how to get through it
-I am a braver person
-I know I have people I can count on no matter what and I will go as far as saying that some relationships have even gotten stronger through this period of my life, because of the working together part.  Hard times can bring people closer, as well as show you who are truly your real friends. (Thank You to my Friends and Family for all your love and support...no words can ever express how much you all mean to me and what you have done for me.)
-It has open me up to reevaluate my life in many ways and appreciate what I do have in ways I may have not before
-I have met my fellow Hip Sisters who have experienced the same journey and together we have been able to educate others and lend support to other Hipsters (Thank You Girls for all your help xox)
-I have learned how to be Pro-active/ to understand that I have to make things happen for me..get the right help, get the right information, not take no for an answer, to be my own/best advocate
-Understanding my body and how fragile it is, but also how strong it is, and what it has the ability to do
-How to do things even though they may not be my "normal" way of doing it..I can still get the job done..(Example one: My wheelchair way of sweeping and washing floors) So being independent during a time when I am more dependent
-Asking people for help and feeling OK w/ it as well
-Learning how to fight and strive and work hard to create my own happiness even during dark times...this is never given...ever.
-Learning how to be more patient (as a patient..and as a non-patient too ;))

So even though there has been some very dark times I am now understanding that the lesson learned may be more valuable to the rest of my life than having a "perfect" hip...because as we all know; nothing is perfect ;)

ps. I just noticed that this is my 50th post on this blog..LOL..I wrote 50 posts about one body part....LOL.... wonder what I could do w/ a more diverse subject matter ;) Happy 50!

8 comments:

  1. Happy 50th post! It's good to know that you can recognize all the good that has come amidst all the bad. That's a never ending lesson so hard to learn for all of us. Keep getting better!

    - Matt O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twinsy...I would love a get together in NYC! It is by far my favorite city to visit and wouldn't that be hilarious to "shop til we drop"...literally!!! :) I am a lot like you, laugh off the embarrasing stuff b/c if I were to cry, I don't think I could stop. And besides, it really WAS funny after everything stopped hurting;) You sound like you've really come full circle with your hip. Props to you! At 6 months (yesterday and my 8 year wedding anniversary!) I am still sore at the incision and the screws still bother me when laying on my right side, but I am loads better than pre-op. Hoping the giving out was a fluke! Catching and giving out scares me a little considering...but we'll see what Dr. Z has to say:) Ok, so, maybe an east coast hippy union next summer???? When we'd be much more likely to enjoy walking around the city???? Much love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous/Matt O. Thank You sooooo much :)

    @Marcie/Hip twinsy: Happy 6 month (huge marker) and Happy Anniversary..8 years..AWESOME!! I am so happy and proud of you for all your steps and accomplishments..you are my hip idol :) I started last week to lay on my right side for the first time because I actually can now..which makes me all sorts of happy..there is definitely some uncomfortably but I can do it now!!!! I hope the "give out" was a fluke too! I understand the fear those situations do cause but it probably is due to the healing component still..our hips have been through A LOT..DR Z hopefully will have all good news!!Definitely let me know what he says:) Next Summer we will be the new girls who take over the Big Apple..watch out Carrie Samantha Miranda and Charlotte..They may be the girls now w/ their Sex in the City but....Hipsters in the City is so 2011 ;) Love u! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh oh oh!! I'm coming to Hipsters in the city!!!!
    thank you for writing this post my hip sis! I needed it..... feeling a little down right now about my health "issues" and i haven't even gone through surgery or recovery yet. I'm so glad that you are able to see the GOOD things through this all! I will definetly be calling on your strength during my recovery! xoxoxooxoxoxoxox!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Krystal! Of Course you are coming to Hipster's in the City..wouldn't be that hip w/out u ;)! I am here for you..hip sisters forever..xoxo Hope you are feeling better..pre surgery and post surgery I have my good and bad days..I try to appreciate and make the best w/ the good ones and try to get past the bad ones as fast as I can :)
    @Louisa..awwwwww Thanks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, its so nice to know that there are other people going through this truley crap situations and its hreat to finaly have someone else who understands as unless you have gone through it no one has an idea of how it makes u feel. thanks for writing it :) natalie (from facebook lol)xxx

    ReplyDelete